Would you love the benefits and rehabilitative capabilities of this type of this alternative health care? With the growing population in America turning to Chiropractors for their Natural Health services you may be wondering how to pick the best Chiropractic office to “fit” you! For future Chiropractic patients, it is so vital to understand the proper guidelines for choosing the right Dunedin Chiropractic Doctor.
I want to share with you the top 5 things you as a future Chiropractic patient should be looking for.
1. The Chiropractor should RESPECT THE PATIENTS TIME!
Have you ever had the experience of showing up on time for a previously scheduled appointment only to find yourself waiting…and waiting…and waiting…for the doctor? We both know how frustrating this can be! In my own opinion this is unacceptable. Of course, things can go wrong in an office, and at times life can jump out at you and throw out unexpected ups and downs. This is the time however to inform the patient that you are running late. In this type of case, I always inform my patients that I am running late and give them the option to reschedule.
The main point here of course is to prevent it from happening in the first place! No person loves waiting! Right? So when you choose a Dunedin Chiropractor, make sure you are dealing with a doctor who respects the patient’s time as much as his own. In our busy lives, we are all so pressed for time, it is here when it is a comfort knowing that your Chiropractor values and respects your time too!
2. Your Chiropractor should respect your WELL BEING!
When you have something in your health that is clearly wrong and needs to be corrected, it is so important that you are dealing with a Dunedin Chiropractic Clinic who will tell it to you straight. This is the time that you need a straight shooter. I once went to a dentist who was very nice, but he found some things wrong with me teeth and just seemed too timid to tell me the real extent of the problem. I would much rather a doctor tells me so I can determine and understand all my possible options.
When a patient sees me in my clinic, I promise to respect their well being. This means first and foremost a detailed exam for the patient so we can fully understand the extent of your problem. After that detailed exam, you can trust that I will give it to you straight and leave it up to you to decide how you wish to proceed. Don’t just walk away from a practitioner who will not give you the full report, run. You need to know your options in plain English. If you did not fully catch what was going on, he should be more than happy to help you understand your problem better. When it comes to your pain, to your health, you need solutions and straight conversation. That is one of the first secrets to getting better fast.
3. Try to find Recommendations and Referrals!
In the perfect world, someone telling you of a trusted Chiropractor is the place to start your search for a good Chiropractor. This is not always possible I realize. There are many other ways to find reviews however.
The second best option as mentioned above is to ask your doctor for reviews or letters of recommendation. Often times these types of things will be posted on his or her website. There are multiple other online review sources, such as Google places. If you are looking to find this, just Dunedin Chiropractic or Dunedin Chiropractor and you will see the Google places top ten list. Just click on a clinic and you can find some amazing reviews on the Chiropractor you are thinking of seeing.
4. The Warning Signs!
You need to know a couple of more things before walking into a Chiropractic office!
These are some of the “danger signs”, if your Dunedin Chiropractor exhibits them, you may want to avoid this doctor:
*Avoid a Chiropractor who merely touches your back or neck to determine if you should have an adjustment. There are many analytical ways to measure this with instrumentation and diagnostic means. If he is simply working on you every time you visit his office, you may be questioning how does he know when I am in place or out of place? Well if he is simply using his hands to determine this, he is probably missing a great deal of information as to how your nervous system is functioning. Find a Dunedin Chiropractor that has a analytical way to determine this, if it is a good way it should make sense to you and he should be able to show you the checks before and you should be able to see for yourself how they change after!
*Avoid a Chiropractor that forces you to sign a long-term treatment contract. This is a great way to save money, if YOU choose. Do not be forced into doing anything that you are not comfortable with. Chiropractic is very safe, but you have no reason to be tied to a particular chiropractor for any long-term period of time unless your condition requires it. In my office we have many care options that will suit the patient’s needs first and foremost!
- Avoid a Chiropractor that attempts to discourage you from preventative treatments and health benefits outside of Chiropractic Care, such as adequate nutrition and exercise. A Chiropractor that is looking out for you, he should at least be open to the possible means of caring for your health condition.
- Avoid a Chiropractor that is making outrageous claims that you realize are not feasible or who attempts to scare you into a treatment plan. We believe the patient should be given the respect of the proper information on their case, not amplifying the case and trying to scare them into doing what is not best for their health needs.These are a few tell-tale signs that your Chiropractor is more concerned of his pocket book, then the patient’s welfare.
5. Look for a Good Speed Of Service!
When I first got into practice, I used to spend way to long with my new patients. It seemed to me that good service meant lengthy service.
My patients have taught me that I was very wrong! One patient said, “If you wouldn’t mind speeding things up a bit, I will be able to come into the office when I need to.” That was an eye opener! This was the moment I realized why banks and place like Starbucks really move quick to help their clients. I now see that people also wish to get in and out of their doctors visits in a timely fashion.
From that day forth, when it is possible, I strive to not hold my chiropractic patients in the office a second longer then they need for proper and complete care. Since then I have been told many times how much my patients appreciate my efforts to making their visits as smooth with as little waiting as possible.
Dunedin Chiropractors: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
The neck is a very vulnerable area of the body. It needs to be strong and be very flexible. It holds the entire weight of the head (8-10 pounds). If the neck is in the wrong position or has poor alignment, this weight will add stress to the neck and will cause the surrounding musculature to spasm. When this occurs, it will cause pain. The pain may or may not go away, but the cause will not get better if it is not addressed. You may have heard someone say, 'My pain comes and goes.'
The body tells the brain that something is wrong in the form of pain. The symptoms may ease but the cause of the problem may still be there. Using a chiropractor to assess and align the spine and muscles can allow neck pain to be subdued and reduce the chance of it returning. This will allow the neck to balance the weight of the head properly and the person's neck and upper thoracic area will feel less stress and tension.
Neck pain can be caused in many different ways, whether it is obvious reasons such as a car accident or something simple such as sleeping in an awkward position. The neck bends in many ways which can not only cause pain, but functional issues. If the spine, neck and head are in-line and symmetrical, the neck pains should disappear and muscles should relax.
Chiropractors have the skills and necessary tools to understand and assess any problems associated with neck problems. The key to solving the problem is to catch it early. Having regular chiropractic check ups and assessments can be vital in reducing neck pain. The neck needs care as it can cause more problems with the spine and shoulders. Headaches are also a common occurrence with neck problems and if these are heavily medicated, it only temporarily fixes pain. Many sufferers mask the problem with over the counter and prescription medication rather than finding a possible solution to the cause with chiropractic adjustments and massage.
A chiropractor's plan is to assess, align and keep on top of the true natural balance of the human body. This can reduce susceptibility to more injury or ill health. This may be diagnosed through radiographs (x-rays), posture analysis, gait analysis and muscle palpation. If bones are found out of alignment on an x-ray, the chiropractor will attempt to align the bones in the neck with a chiropractic adjustment. This is a form of gentle manipulation intended to put misaligned vertebrae back into the proper alignment or position. This will decrease or remove the pressure on the nerve that is causing the paint. He or she may also use massage, reiki and physical therapy to address the muscular aspect of the problem. As wellness is an overview of the human body, having a good diet, regular massages and visiting one of our clinics in Montgomery County, Maryland will catapult you towards being healthy and more comfortable with daily activities.
Whether it has been whiplash or heavy lifting, sleeping oddly or stress, pains in the neck have to be high on the priority list to being dealt with. Patients who leave neck problems for months will end up having more problems. Those who rely on medication are only masking the pain, as it does not dig down into the root cause of the problem. Once the natural balance of the body is disrupted or has been worsened, the pains and headaches will increase. Only then, which is usually unbearable, do patients try everything to subdue the problem. Regular sessions with a chiropractor can help reduce the risk of pain and prevent it in the future. This will also improve your posture. Your chiropractor may also give you ergonomic recommendations to improve your positioning at work and/or home.
As you can see, neck problems may be caused by certain traumas which make daily life more difficult. A pain is the bodies way of asking for help. Medication is only a temporary fix and it can cause more problems to the structure of the body, because the cause wasn't found and problem is now worse. Having the correct alignment of spine and neck will bring easier living. This can be done through appropriate chiropractic care along with massage, therapeutic exercises, reiki and postural techniques.
Help Choosing a Chiropractor For Optimum Chiropractic Care
There are very few things that beat coming out of your chiropractor's office feeling great and well balanced. It relieves aches and pains, reduces stress, and can even boost your immune system. As with any doctor or medical practice, there are people who lack proper training or do not hold a valid license to practice their craft. By using one of these unqualified and unskilled 'doctors', you are putting your health and possibly your life at risk.
So, what should you look for when choosing a chiropractor? There are several questions you should ask before he/she treats you.
The very first step is to get a referral from your primary physician and/or several positive referrals from friends and/or family about a specific chiropractor. If multiple people you know recommend a specific doctor, then you are more likely to seek out his/her services. Also, your primary physician has ties to the medical community. Your doctor is able to recommend a specific chiropractor that will meet your specific medical needs. Even with these recommendations from people you trust, you still need to do some research on your own and ask him/her any questions you might have before receiving any treatment.
If you do not know anyone who has used a chiropractor or your primary physician can not recommend one, go to the American Chiropractic Association website (or search for the Chiropractic Association in your country). There you will find valuable information along with a database you can search to find a qualified and licensed chiropractor that is right for you.Once you have found one, here are some questions that you should ask either before on at your initial visit:
1. Ask about their education, experience, and what (if any) they specialize in.
2. Ask about any and all services they provide
3. Ask if they accept your insurance and what forms of payment are available.
4. Ask if they are willing to refer you to a specialist if necessary.
5. Ask if they will work in concert with your primary care physician.
6. Ask about their treatment goals.
7. Finally, ask any other questions you might have. It is good to make a list before meeting with him/her.
It is very important to know what the 'red flags' are when finding a qualified chiropractor. Here are a few things you should look out for:
1. Avoid doctors that ask for a lump sum payment for extended, long-term, or lifetime care.
2. Avoid signing any long-term treatment contracts. You should be able to either continue or terminate your care with any doctor.
3. Avoid doctors that highly recommend or require multiple weekly treatment sessions for an extended period of time. Unless your primary care physician or your specialist recommends this kind of treatment, it is not necessary to have several sessions on a weekly and long term basis.
4. Avoid chiropractors who encourage you to get preventive treatments/adjustments. There is absolutely no need for preventive adjustments. You only need treatment if your primary care physician or specialist recommends it along with a schedule of how many sessions you should need.
5. Avoid chiropractors that highly discourage you from seeking preventive treatments outside of their practice (immunization, herbal treatments, etc.). Your health and treatment/recovery from your disease or condition should be paramount, and any or all treatment options should be encouraged even if the treatment plan is outside of their chiropractic clinic.
6. Avoid any chiropractic clinic that prescribes any form of supplemental drugs, including any herbal/homeopathic supplements, to use in conjunction with the standard treatments they give you. They are not qualified to do so. If they feel you need medication, they should be working with your primary care physician/specialist and they can recommend a medicinal treatment plan with your doctor. Only a physician or dietitian can prescribe supplements and/or medications to you.
7. Avoid any Chiropractor that gives you any information, 'special secret' that no one else knows about, or claim/cure for your condition that seems too good to be true. We all know the saying 'if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is'.
8. Last but not least, avoid all chiropractors who use scare tactics just to get your business. This is a huge indicator that he/she is only interested in your money and not your health. If your condition is serious enough, your physician will either educate you and present treatment plans that are available to you or refer you to a specialist.
When you are making a decision about your health and well being, there is no harm or shame in walking away from a potentially dangerous medical practice (no matter if it is a general physician or chiropractor). You only have one body and one shot at life. There is no need to take unnecessary risks. Have your physician working closely with your chiropractor. This will ensure that you are getting the most effective treatment possible.